Notifications
Clear all

four mallet grip for loud ensemble playing

1 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@d_gambrell)
Topic starter  

I'm playing marimba in a fairly loud latin jazz/dance group. We did a one hour show yesterday and my middle fingers got raw. I cut through the mix just fine (I used two mics and hard mallets). I'm not sure if I'm just playing too hard or if my grip is too unstable in the outter mallets. Also I'm wondering if the Stevens grip that I'm studying is a good grip for loud ensemble playing or if it's better suited for solo marimba. All of the mallet players I've seen playing in loud ensembles seem to use Burton grip. Which grip is best for loud ensemble work? I'd appreciate any thoughts on this topic. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@bbstraw)

Hi,

This is a good question. It comes down to one thing only: technique. If you have a good solid technique, you can play Stevens grip at extremely loud levels. I use the grip for Xenakis' PSAPPHA or REBONDS A, as well as in chamber music and concerto situation. Leigh Stevens M.O.M. illustrates this to perfection. But this goes to crossed grips. Great vibes players like Burton, Mainieri, Samuels, etc, have great sounds due to effective technique, not to force. Its all about physics.

All best and good luck,

P

ReplyQuote
(@chrisandcoral)

i am an advocate of steven's grip but if you're playing on a bandstand for long periods you should probably be using burton grip, be sure your hands are relaxed, and turn up the mics....all to save your hands on the long term. greg

ReplyQuote
Share: