Notifications
Clear all

old vs. new

1 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@arserra)
Topic starter  

how can one avoid buying a marimba that is green. i am looking for a marimba (at least a 4.3) but fear buying a new one because i want sweet tone and aged wood... brands to avoid... new or old... years to avoid... what's the scooP
any advice... gordon... bill... anyone?
thanks
jsb

ReplyQuote
(@a_kash)

No reputable company makes marimbas with "green" wood; they all use some degree of air or kiln drying in preparing the rosewood. However, it does take time for wood to age properly and newly produced bars will continue to dry and age. This is the reason new marimbas tend to go sharp over time and why many manufacturers offer free tuning for the first year.

Obviously, a 20-, 40-, 60-, or 80-year old instrument has had considerably more drying time. Another factor is the greater availability of mature heartwood trees in earlier days, as opposed to today. Athough various companies have and continue to claim that they have some exclusive source of wood (e.g "NAGAED"), there are only a limited number of sources and wholesalers in the market. Your best bet is to choose a brand/model/design you prefer and then sample/exchange keyboards until you are satisfied. Do be aware that a good keyboard will improve with age, however.

P.S. I do note that Adams has recently announced that a particularly premium batch of rosewood has entered their production cycle -- see their web site for information.

WM

ReplyQuote
Share: