Clear all

Question for Mr. Moersch and others with signature lines

1 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@gridit)
Topic starter  

Mr. Moersch,

First, is it pronounced like mersch, or morsch? I've heard it both ways and I'd rather not propogate a bastardization of your name.

Second, I had an interesting conversation with one of your IP counter-parts earlier today about mallet companies and the materials they manufacture with. The other evening, I noticed that a fellow student was using a set of your signature mallets that sounded different from mine, so I made the obvious assumption that they were either a different model number, or that perhaps mine (though not heavily used since I had them rewrapped at the first of the year), were noticeably more worn. I asked if I could see them and found that they were the same model, and in relatively new condition, but were more "multi-tonal." Upon closer inspection, I determined that the yarn was definitely a softer fiber and perhaps even ever so slightly more loosely wrapped than mine. I asked when he had purchased them, and he said recently, so I made the assumption that IP had collaborated with you and adapted the design of the stick recently without necessarily informing the consumer of the change. The other artist that I asked about the situation said that oftentimes, mallet-makers change yarns based on availability or contracts with yarn-makers without even consulting the artists. I was wondering if that was the case with yours and if so, why do manufacturers not bother to inform us all?
I've had similar experiences with other manufacturers, but thought nothing of it, since I purchased sets of mallets at much broader intervals. Obviously the change occurs between just two sets of mallets at the factory level, but in such an information age, wouldn't it be appropriate to keep the consumer posted?

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I was just curious about your particular experience with the situation. Thanks in advance.

ReplyQuote
(@a_kash)

Michael,

First, contrary to the original German version, it's "mersh", not "morsh" or even "mo-ersh". Thanks for asking.

Second, I know of one change in yarn that Innovative Percussion made in my line of mallets a few years ago, but I have not noticed a more recent change. Nothing against the fine people at IP, but the artist is not always informed regarding minor manufacturing changes due to suppliers, machinery, or other issues. I approved an original set of prototypes for my line and I expect IP to maintain a reasonably close tolerance to those versions. Since I don't replace my own mallets very often, my only contact with subsequent product variation is through my students. On occasion, I have informed IP about various inconsistancies I observe, but on the whole, I am very impressed with their quality control. Your comment will prompt me to check in with them again!

WM

ReplyQuote
(@flamkat)

Michael,

I will come into this question as one of the "others with signature lines"...

I have a fairly recent addition to the marketplace with a line of mallets bearing my name. The company's name is August Percussion and it is the property of the mallet maker Luke Nygaard, a wonderful craftsman.

As someone who is particularly picky about mallets and their quality, I designed my mallets with Mr. Nygaard exclusively for myself at first with no desire to make them commercially available. However, now that they are (after all my students wanted to have some!) I have had a request in place that they do not change from the specifications I provided at first! This is to me the most important element, since the mallets were conceived with a particular sound in mind and any deviation from those original specs would indeed change the quality of the mallets.

Since Mr. Nygaard owns the company himself, and he is the person in charge of making the mallets (they are all hand-made), AND he knows the process inside and out from the conception of the mallets until today, he is obviously very careful about quality control (plus, I know that he would consult with me before any changes would be made. Perhaps the benefit of being a small company...). I am sure that what Mr. Moersch has told you is true for many companies, where changes are made and the artists are not even aware of, or consulted about them! Costs, manufacturing, availability of materials, etc, are all factors in the companies' perspectives of how to produce these products, and they have to look at things from those angles. I understand your point of being frustrated with discrepancies (I was also bothered about such things earlier in my career until I decided to create my own mallets!).

It is nice to hear that you are also picky about these issues though... It speaks well of your ear and your desire to find the right answers to your questions!

Best wishes,

Fernando Meza

ReplyQuote
Share: