Notifications
Clear all

advise - want to buy marimba

1 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@justin)
Topic starter  

I am looking for a small marimba that is VERY transportable. I play with several groups that play in bars and such and I have to transport equipment frequently. As you may know, most marimbas don't like to be moved frequently. Someone suggested the Ross r409. I do not need a super nice, large marimba. What do you think? The ross r409 is a student model, but it is made to transport with an easy roll cart and such - http://www.rossmallets.com/ed_perc_schol.html
The main problem with this instrument is that I can't buy it online. I feel like I am at the mercy of any music store that will order it for me and I will have to pay a lot rather than get a musician's friend or music123 kind of a price.

ReplyQuote
(@dotberry)

The Ross instruments are adequate student models if you cannot afford a Yamaha synthetic. The Musser and Adams synthetic are also decent instruments, but the Musser has a very unique sound. Difficult to describe. Very long sustain, with a bright, almost metallic quality. (Anybody else have a better description?) In my limited experience with synthetic bars, the Yamaha has the best sound, but there may be a better brand that I haven't heard. The Ross instruments that I've heard have a decent, if bright, sound, but they don't seem to sustain or project as well as the higher priced versions.

As for internet buying, we all need to be supporting our local music stores as much as possible. Obviously we all order from Steve Weiss, because he's fast and has stuff that we have difficulty finding elsewhere. But the music store that called on our schools when we were starting band or orchestra is a big reason we are what we are today.

ReplyQuote
Share: