Clear all

Marimba Summer Camps

1 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jennie.dorris)
Topic starter  

Hi,
I've been trying to find summer camps that would be good for improving my percussion, mainly marimba. Here's what I've found so far:

International Summer Academy
Berklee Percussion Camp
Nancy Zeltsman Marimba Festival
Interlochen

But they're all SO EXPENSIVE!!! If there are any others out there, preferably less expensive, please let me know. Thanks a ton!

ReplyQuote
(@grey_run)

Hello,

There is also the LHS Summer marimba seminar in Ocean Grove, NJ. The Juilliard School also has a summer prercussion camp.

WM

ReplyQuote
(@kdmaret)

Hello MagicFuRO,
Everyone has there own opinions on these camps..
I went to Juilliard Pre-College (not the camp) for 6 years and Interlochen Arts Camp for 2 summers. I have also experienced Berklee for a few months. I have friends that have attended Tanglewood, Juilliard Summer Session, and Berklee's festivals all for Percussion and Marimba. None seem to add up to my experience at Interlochen.
After one summer session there studying with Keith Aleo I came back a million times the player I went as. I learned so much more than I can say I ever learned anywhere else. And it was well worth the price for 2 months compared to the other summer seminars.
You can apply for scholarships or financial aid for any of these camps. I highly recommend Interlochen for percussion and marimba.
Good luck, happy hunting.
Diana Melgarejo
Diana@NycMusicLessons.org

ReplyQuote
(@cutegal_182)

Last summer I went to a mariba seminar held by Rebecca Kite at university of Maryland. It was a great experience, there wound up being very few students so we recieved a lot of individualized attention. I feel like I was in over my head a little bit in terms of the performance aspect, as I was very inexperienced compared to the other performers there, however, I still took away a great deal from the experience and am a much better performer because of it.

The price for the class, including housing, was very reasonable as well. I'm not sure if she will be holding one this year, as I just checked her website and didn't see any information. However, it was at the end of July last summer (5 days from the 25-30 I believe), and her posted schedule doesn't go that late yet.

Her website is www.rebeccakite.com

ReplyQuote
Share: