Notifications
Clear all

Malletech CN14 vs. WU14

1 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bbaldauff)
Topic starter  

Any thoughts? The CN14's aree well known as a standard medium hardness "practice mallet." How do the WU14's compare? Hardness should be roughly the same, according to Malletech's numbering system. What are the similarities/differences, in your experience?

thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@bbstraw)

mallets, mallets, mallets...... are you looking for practice mallets?

Can't think of better practice mallets than naked rubber mallets and no resonators on instrument: but this is a very personal view....

But since you mention, the WU14 seem to be a "lighter" sounding mallet and more multi-tone in a way, than the CN14's, which seem a more classical mallet ---- but this is all soooooooooooo due to what you can do with them, rather than a mallet by itself.... and different hands project differently on same instrument on same acoustic space -- so -- a bit impossible to answer on OBJECTIV terms....

All best,

-p

ReplyQuote
(@doctorpatw)

I would agree with Pedro Carneiro on this. It's very difficult to be objective on this matter, but here's my opinion. I think the WU14's are slighty brighter than the CN14's, but that's because of the weight, length, etc. I would suggest owning both models and using them as you see fit. Commonly, I use some mallets for solo work and different mallets for ensemble playing.

ReplyQuote
(@kilgoreamb)

The great thing about the Malletech series mallets is that the numbers represent the same level of hardness throughout any series.

Essentially, the CN14 should sound or be a bit similar to the WU14 - at least in hardness. The difference between the two is going to be the wrapping.

ReplyQuote
Share: