Notifications
Clear all

Questions on Timpani sticks

1 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jcurrey)
Topic starter  

I've been trying to find some good timpani sticks.
Now, i've got Cloyd Duff #1, #3 and #5 in my possession..and i think they are great.
Alot of big brand names such as vic firth etc. they have great timpani sticks but wht i dont like is, the shaft are made of wood and the shape is funnel..not straight.
i am happy with my cloyd duff but i want to expand my collection to give moe contour to the music as some large symphonic works need different tone colour.
So can you guys suggestion me any timp. sticks which suit my critiera? ( straight, bamboo or wood shaft)
I've considered David Morbey sticks, but there are just tooo many models, any suggestions on that too?
please do reply me. tht'll be great

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@a_kash)

I suggest you start by getting the other Duff models, particularly #2 and #4. More than other mallet lines, the Duff series is designed to be used as a complete set of #1-7.

ReplyQuote
(@mahaffjl)

I use and love the Innovative CT series. They have great, thick, straight, cherry-wood handles. I highyl recommend either those, although I'm pretty sure Black Swamp might meet your criteria as well, but with the bamboo.

ReplyQuote
 mail
(@mail)

hey,

u shouldn't going out buying more sticks to change your sound. you should think about using different techniques to change your tone. try swicthing from french grip to german to a more ambient sound or use the german (snare sytle match stick) to get a fuller, more articulate sound. just try it out

ReplyQuote
(@gnienidyrc)

Dear Matthew,

Everyone here is right. Try all the Duff mallets, work on technique, try different grips, and try as many mallets as you can. Only after mastering all of this will you be able to make an educated decision on what are the "right mallets for you". I'm surprised no one has mentioned either the Clevendar bamboo mallets or the David Herbert mallets. Both series of mallets are a bit more expensive, but personally, if you perform seriously, they are well worth the investment.

Hope this helps.

-Angel Velez

ReplyQuote
(@mcansinor)

you should try the Vic Firth European Series timpani mallet they are made of bamboo

ReplyQuote
Share: