Notifications
Clear all

Looking for Concerto Suggestions

1 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@cutegal_182)
Topic starter  

I am looking for an intermediate level marimba concerto to work on to possibly enter in my school orchestra's concerto competition next spring.

My playing ability is somewhere in between Rhythm Song and Variations on Japanese Childrens Songs. I performed Rhythm Song for my jury last spring and played it without issue. However, I've been looking at children's songs and it is quite daunting. My current solo piece I am working on for my jury is a transcription of the prelude of Bach's Cello Suite #1 and that was very easy to learn... I did so in about one afternoon.

I have no real exposure to marimba concertos outside of Ney Rosauro's works, and while I love them, they are way overdone at my school, so any suggestions would be great.

ReplyQuote
(@js britton)

obviously you must be a great sightreader if you learned a bach suite in one afternoon... i have to ask you this... what about interpretation? who did you study? ma, casals, rostropovich, ... ? i am going to embark on the bach suites soon... to me, they seem like they must be quite challenging. once you have learned the notes and memorized them... it seems that only then, can you begin to start learning the piece. the notes are just the given. how they are played is an entirely different matter. playing js bach is a very tricky thing with a never ending disagreement on intrepretation... the notes are only the starting point.

as for a concerto, you also have to consider the level of skill within the orchestra (or pianist) that will be accompanying you... please keep us informed. with this information, i am surprised you felt out of place at the kite seminar...
jsb

ReplyQuote
(@doctorpatw)

Check out the Michael Burritt concerto

http://mostlymarimba.com/bin/music.php?pid=71

ReplyQuote
(@artgirl01)

Hey Lindsay,

Check out Mr. Moersch's list of concerti for some suggestions.
Note, make sure you check out the orch part before committing to a piece.....a lot of them are quite challenging for the orchestra 😉

https://www.marimba.org/ja/modules/tinyd0/index.php?id=11

ReplyQuote
(@cutegal_182)
Topic starter  

Thank you to everyone who directed me to a copy of Mr. Moersch's list.

I had tried to access it from the link on this site, however it seemed to be down. Its pretty much what I had been looking for.

ReplyQuote
Share: