Notifications
Clear all

"Bach Mallets"

1 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mazongda)
Topic starter  

Hi all, I'm new here (and to the art of marimba as well) and just wanted to hear some input on this little problem I have...

I'm currently learning the G minor Fugue from the solo violin sonata book. several things have been recommended to me such as:

1. Vic Firth Robert - Van Sice models
2. Innovative Percussion - soloist or Will Moersch models
3. A. Putnam - Graduated mediums
4. Yamaha - Keiko Abe Sig series

I personally like a much darker tone for Bach's stuff and judging from the clips on the vicfirth site, I think the Van Sice mallets sounded wayyyyy too harsh. I have yet to hear the innovatives or putnams. lastly, the Abe sig series are all in rattan shafts which i tend to stay away from...

Unfortunately, none of my local stores carries much marimba mallets (except malletech and vicfirths). so I just wanna hear some suggestions from you guys and narrow down my choices! right now i've having my eyes on the malletech Leigh Stevens series (but i've heard quite a few bad things about them such as durability)

...so please guide this confused one!

ReplyQuote
(@Michael Preibisch)

hi
have you ever tried Bogdan Bacanu Series by ADAMS ?
Some Marimba player never heard about these mallets ...

ReplyQuote
(@Pedro Carneiro)

hey, give the Malletech CN 9's, CN 14's and CN21's a try. Durable and useful for your Bach. Also, you can make nice combinations. good luck, p

ReplyQuote
(@chrisandcoral)

Hi - I have a student playing that now and he is using the IP 300's with an IP 502 in the bass. Good luck with it. Greg

ReplyQuote
(@dotberry)

What sound are you trying to achieve? You touched on this a little. When I play Bach, I listen to as many recordings as possible of THE ORIGINAL INSTRUMENT being played. Obviously with Bach, the string instruments have changed in the ensuing 275-ish years, but there are many interpretations on both modern and period instruments. I then choose mallets and a style to best emulate what I hear. My mallet choice changes depending on where I am performing as well.

ReplyQuote
Share: