Notifications
Clear all
1 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@koppelman)
Topic starter  

Opinions please

Do you think $8,850 is a good deal on a MINT condition 4.6 Octave Malletech Marimba (the top of the line version), that has been re-tuned, with a slip cover (and even comes with a set of mallets)

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@mazongda)

for a malletech 4.6, $9750 is the factory direct price, cover is $140.

judging from the numbers, $8850 isn't too much of a deal. you're only paying $1000 more for a brand new one. well, of course there's the tax issue for buying brand new, but you also get the warranty and services along with that. what if the bars crack the day after you pay? what if the frame breaks 2 weeks down the road? what if there's something broken and you don't know?

check this out, scroll middle:
http://www.johntafoya.com/forsale.html

this guy dropped 15% off his 5 octave, and it's not a particularly a great buy. but for comparison's sake, you should expect at 20% on a second hand 4.6 marimba, so that's around $2000 off.

here's the break down,
factory retuning for a 4.6 is roughly $200, cover is $140. that's $340 off the $8850, which means, you're really paying $8510 for the marimba alone. that's about 13% off the brand new price.

i worked as a salesman before and i know how easy it is for a person to get suckered in. he tells you that it "comes" with a retune and cover, but really you're paying for it instead. Also, don't underestimate the importance of warranty, it really gives you more security.

take your time and wait, i'm sure there're better deals than this. or just save up while you're waiting and buy a brand new one. should have the same attitude buying a marimba as you do buying a car.

A while ago there was a height adjustable 5.0 on ebay for around $8600. sweet deal, the marimba looks great, i think it was from kentucky university or sth. they might still have it if you manage to find out.

good luck!

ReplyQuote
Share: