Notifications
Clear all

baroque dances

1 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@crpederson)
Topic starter  

I'm about the learn some more bach cello suite music, and it dawned on me... All of these songs are dances, but I don't know how the dances are performed. Sounds kind of stupid, but if I'm gonna play dance music, I want to make sure that I'm playing in the right style for authenticity purposes. Which leads me to my question:

Is there a DVD or any sort of documentation of Baroque dances?
And if so, where?

This sort of thing has been bugging me, and I was hoping I can finally answer this question once and for all. Thank you for your time.

ReplyQuote
(@artgirl01)

While it is important to have a sense of what kind of dance you are playing, be aware that by the time Bach wrote the suites, the only one of the dance forms that was still danced was the minuet.
That being said, there most certainly are videos somewhere, I've seen them in theory class 😉 Google it, I'm sure something will pop up.

ReplyQuote
(@mazongda)

Actually, the dance titles are indications for tempo and dynamics only...

for example, a bourree starts with a pick up note the value of a quarter note, in moderately quick tempo.

note: these instrumental pieces were not meant to be played for people to dance along to (imagine a person dancing to a solo cello piece)

ReplyQuote
Share: