Clear all

Need Advice

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@roman365)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

I need some advice regarding marimbas! I chanced upon this website while searching for available marimbas.

Basically, I will be visiting the US for a few months coming may, and I was hoping to get a decent marimba. The purpose of the marimba is really just for putting at home so that i can do some self practice.

While researching, I came across planet marimba's Practice Marimba. Is there anyone who could give me some insight into how well a practice marimba without resonators would sound? is it just the volume or will the quality / resonance of the sound be affected?

On hindsight, anyone with any recommendations? I don't mind second hand as long as they are in decent condition..

(@artgirl01)

I have never played the Planet Marimba's Practice Marimba, but my experience is that the feel (and obviously the sound) of playing a marimba without resonators is completely different then playing one with resonators - so much so that one is considerably thrown off when moving back to a complete instrument. The sound is not too much an issue if you just want to say learn notes or something, but it really feels weird, nothing at all like an instrument w/ resonators. Play it and see if you like it!

ReplyQuote
(@perc_up)

I have a 5 octave Demorrow practice marimba.

I really enjoy playing it, but you have to keep in mind (as Ian said) that it feels different than playing a marimba with resonators.
Think about kind of like practicing on snare pad rather than a snare drum. Rolling on the practice instrument is a little strange because of the lack of resonance, but you get used to it.

I think it was well worth the money I spent on it. The biggest value is not always having to go up to the school to practice, all I have to do is walk across the hall and start shedding.

ReplyQuote
Share: