Notifications
Clear all

mallets choices

1 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@koppelman)
Topic starter  

Hey guys, Ive been out of it for a while and need some input on mallets. Im an old timer (42) and not up to speed on the "newer" mallets lines out there.
My current rep is
2 Mexican Dances
Astral Dance
Suite for Solo Guitar (Wilder/Stout)
for these I use the Stout grip and his mallets so Im cool

Here is where I need help...
My Lady White
Album For The Young
Grand Fantasy

The Stout mallets are too heavy for these plus I use Stevens grip on these. But...Im not very fond of the Stevens mallets (cant say why really) but I COULD use them I suppose...
any good "Steven's Substitutes" out there?? That are light enough?
I use a Malletech 4.6 marimba
Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@baket)

Dear Killian,
have you ever tried the "Bogdan Bacanu Mallet Series" by ADAMS?

ReplyQuote
(@artgirl01)

hey,

Here are a few lines you might want to try (you'd probably do best going to an actual store and trying these out, then just ordering a few from steve weiss)

-IP Soloist Line
-MarimbaOne Double Helix Line
-Vic Firth Robert Van Sice Line
-Encore Nancy Zeltsman Line

Those are just a couple that come to mind quickly for me, I'm sure others will have tons of other suggestions.
The problem with the mallet world is that their are so damn many mallets, and usually more then one mallet that will do the job you are looking for....so your best bet is to just give a couple types of them a try and see what you like.

ReplyQuote
(@koppelman)
Topic starter  

Well, I went to VF.com and I REALLY dont like the VanSice mallets..those are just too harsh for me personally.

Im just going to stick with what I know..malletech mallets on my malletech marimba...sound like a snob dont I??????

thanks
tk

ReplyQuote
(@chrisandcoral)

hi - I know I used a set of 4 IP 300's for Grand Fantasy when I recorded it. I usually use a softer mallet in the bass but not on this piece. greg

ReplyQuote
Share: