Clear all

Help with Marimba Maintenance

1 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@misiu)
Topic starter  

Hi there everyone!

I am a percussion major working at a local high school as their pit tech. I have just been hired and we have come across a problem that I can't seem to find a good solution to, and would appreciate any help or advice you can offer.

We have three Yamaha vibraphones and two fiberglass Musser marimbas (4.3 octave), and the school has had them for the good part of a decade. Needless to say, they are pretty worn out, but still sound great after replacing some keys. The problem is that all of the rubber post insulators that keep the bars from making contact with the metal posts (causing rattling, scratching etc) have all disintegrated or disappeared, and we are trying to find an affordable solution to no avail! Music123 and other sites sell them in packs of 10 for about $6... but the amount I need is somewhere in the hundreds, and my school can't afford to throw down hundreds of $$$ on those insulators.

Does anyone know either where I can find them in bulk, or has a creative solution? I'm sure this is a problem encountered by many schools as their instruments age.

Thanks so much! Have a great day-
Pit Tech

ReplyQuote
(@mitchellevan)

Hey, buy a package of surgical tubing, can usually be found at a drug store or maybe bulk online, a lot cheaper and you'll get a lot more mileage.

Dave, percussion major Plymouth State

ReplyQuote
(@mladen_vasilev)

Google and find yourself some clear silicone hose. It's cheap and you won't find anything better than this.
Will not dry out as regular black rubber is doing, it won't dirten your bars and it won't buzz.

Nico

ReplyQuote
Share: